Hyperbaric South Florida
Your body’s tissues need an adequate supply of oxygen to function. When tissue is injured, it requires even more oxygen to survive. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy increases the amount of oxygen your blood can carry. An increase in blood oxygen temporarily restores normal levels of blood gases and tissue function to promote healing and fight infection.
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is used to treat several medical conditions. And medical institutions use it in different ways. Your doctor may suggest hyperbaric oxygen therapy if you have one of the following conditions:
- Anemia, severe
- Brain abscess
- Bubbles of air in your blood vessels (arterial gas embolism)
- Decompression sickness
- Carbon monoxide poisoning
- Crushing injury
- Deafness, sudden
- Infection of skin or bone that causes tissue death
- Nonhealing wounds, such as a diabetic foot ulcer
- Radiation injury
- Skin graft or skin flap at risk of tissue death
- Vision loss, sudden and painless
Hyperbaric therapy is also used to treat the following conditions:
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Bell’s palsy
- Brain injury
- Cerebral palsy
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Gastrointestinal ulcers
- Heart disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Parkinson’s disease
- Spinal cord injury
- Sports injury
HOW HBOT WORKS
The patient spends about an hour in a hyperbaric chamber, breathing pure oxygen under pressure. Oxygen saturates the body’s tissues, even reaching those areas with low blood supply and typically low oxygen. Without drugs or surgery, over multiple treatments the oxygen flow stimulates the body’s own natural healing processes. From a medical and biological perspective,
- Promotes release of stem cells from the bone marrow.
- Promotes revascularization.
- Creates a hyperoxic (high oxygen) state, which results in intracellular free radicals that up–regulate some genes and down–
- Regulate other genes to promote healing reactions.
- Promotes direct intracellular healing.
- Promotes detoxification.
- Can help your body fight infection.
Conditions and Illnesses That Benefit From Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy
Additional Indications of Hyperbaric Oxygen: from Internationally published reports, and William S. Maxfield, M.D. FACNM Co-founder of the American Board of Hyperbaric Medicine his own professional experience in the field.
Excerpt: The Oxygen Cure